Dr. Chris Lim
MBBS, FRACP, Interventional Cardiologist
Chris Lim is a cardiologist who has trained in all aspects of cardiology and is a specialist in Interventional Cardiology, PCI (percutaneous coronary intervention), angioplasty and stenting. He completed his training in Melbourne and then completed a further three-year post-graduate training fellowship in Oxford, United Kingdom.
He is a pioneer of Radial Artery access procedures – using the wrist artery instead of the femoral artery in the groin – which offers superior patient comfort and procedure safety.
He has also introduced the use of the latest imaging and functional techniques: including intracoronary imaging with OCT and IVUS and the Pressure Wire (FFR) technique to assess individual coronary stenoses for ischaemia. He is active in research and has authored multiple publications in international peer-reviewed journals.
He is also active in teaching and educating junior cardiologists, as part of his tertiary teaching hospital appointments, and is the Supervisor of the Cardiology Resident training programme at Epworth Eastern Hospital.
Chris provides the following services:
- Assessment and management of the full spectrum of cardiac conditions
- Non-invasive investigations
- Cardiac catheterisation, coronary angiography, and Specialist in Complex PCI
- Pioneer of Radial Artery Access procedures for angiograms and PCI in Victoria (helped introduce this technique to Epworth Eastern, using the artery in the wrist compared to the groin. Much lower risk of vascular complications, and much improved patient comfort compared to femoral artery access).
- Pioneer of Drug Eluting Balloon Angioplasty (Performed the first drug eluting balloon angioplasty in an Epworth Hospital in Melbourne)
- Pioneer of the Pressure Wire (FFR/Fractional Flow Reserve) to distinguish stenoses that need PCI and those that can be safely managed conservatively. (Performed the first pressure wire procedure in Epworth Eastern)
- Emergency PCI for treatment of acute myocardial infarction
- And most of all, caring and professional service with a smile!
Qualifications: MBBS FRACP, University of Melbourne 2000
Post Graduate Fellowship: 2008 – 2010 John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford UK
Public Hospital Appointment: Staff Specialist at The Northern Hospital (which has 2 new Cath Labs which are the most modern of any Cath Lab in Australia. Equipped with all the latest technology – OCT, FFR, Rotablator.)
Private Hospitals: Various hospitals including On-Call Cardiologist and Weekly Cath Lab Sessions at the Epworth Eastern Hospital, Box Hill.
Chris is Multilingual and fluent in languages other than English:
Chinese (including Mandarin, Cantonese and Fujian), Malay/Bahasa.